Friday Links: Mother’s Day – Sierra Club Style, Inhaler Abuse

Ooh, edited to included some self-pimpage. Check me out. I’ve sort of cracked the American Lung Association.

Environmental Defense Fund Says Stop Idling for World Asthma Day
That’s “idle” as in your car, not your personal habits. Ozone’s bad for asthma so no news there, but in the face of everything we can’t change on our own as average citizens, this is a good, easy-to-implement contribution towards better air quality.

Sierra Club Taking on Toxic Power Plant Pollution for Mother’s Day

The Sierra Club’s effort comes in the wake of a federal appeals court ruling on February 8th of this year that tossed out the Bush Administration’s lax mercury regulations for coal-fired power plants, saying they were not protective of public health.

“There are affordable technologies widely available today that can substantially reduce mercury and other toxic pollution,” said Pat Gallagher, Director of the Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program. “In their rush to build new coal plants, developers have turned a blind eye to these technologies, and correspondingly the health of children everywhere.”

Thanks, Sierra Club. Best Mother’s Day present I’ve gotten so far.

Teens Using Inhalers to Get High More Common than You Think
The fact that one out of four teens in this study admit using their inhalers recreationally instead of medically worries me, but not because I’m afraid my kid will do it when she’s older. News like this can make people overreact, and I seriously hope no one starts pushing for stricter inhaler controls. The day I have to wrangle with the health insurance company over permissions and limits on inhalers the way I had to with other meds for AG in the past is the day I may just have to give up.

11 responses to “Friday Links: Mother’s Day – Sierra Club Style, Inhaler Abuse”

1. Asthmagirl says:

That teen use of inhalers is just wierd. I hate using mine because of how it makes me feel I can’t imagine wanting to feel that way.

I love the Sierra Club!

Thanks for your comment. Sorry to break your heart a little. I really wrestled with this post for the last three days and in the end decided to quit editing and just post it. My last two posts being so serious, I think I’m going to shoot for light hearted tomorrow!

2. Georgeand Wheezie says:

OMG! Congrats on being featured on the American Lung Association list. I know it’s – as you put in your Asthma-Mom style – ’self-pimpage’ for them too. But look at this:

They are using you as a credible source reporting on their information.

Go A-Mom! Go A-Mom!

3. alex says:

Hey! Thanks for all the great info. I was browsing through a bunch of green websites and blogs and I came across yours and found it very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like the daily green, ecorazzi and earthlab.com. I especially like EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator. I find it really easy to use (it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any others you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites (let me know if they are the same as mine).

4. wendy says:

Good for you – getting your blog on the American Lung Association list. That’s a real feather in your cap (where on earth did that old fashioned saying come from??).
    I hear ya – I get tired of serious posts too, so make some really light-hearted. Looking forward to reading them.
    And I agree – if controls tighten up on inhalers – whoa – doesn’t make life any easier.
    Have a Happy Mother’s Day!

Thanks, guys. It’s just a link, but still—I’m pretty happy. :)

6. Steve says:

Inhaler abuse? WOW thats a new one on me?

YES …. and congrats on making the ALA list.

I told you, you had the best asthma blog out there!

7. freadom says:

It there was a way to get high of an inhaler you’d think I would have found it by now. lol.