Rocky Mountain National Park, and a Colorado Asthma Mom

Dear Internet,

I’ve fallen in love with the American West.

So have the girls, although watching them apply their coastal Florida expectations to these rocky hills provided great entertainment. The Gulf of Mexico, for example, makes for a warm, wavy swim. I warned the girls that glacial mountain streams are much colder, but they didn’t believe me:

glacial_stream2.jpg

Some of the peaks along our drive through the park:

snow_peaks2.jpg

Sprague Lake

spraguelake_trees2.jpg

wildflowers_fence2.jpg

They grow trees this big in Florida–just not this kind of tree:

big_tree2.jpg

Along the hike:

stream2.jpg

stream_falls2.jpg

My 6 year-old decided to look for a “walking stick,” and she came up with this:

walking_stick2.jpg

She’s going to have to get better at picking them out because big changes–BIG changes–loom..

I am leaving the South, y’all.

We’re moving to Colorado and while I’ll miss the beach, I can’t quite believe I get to live there.

Then again, I don’t get to live there quite yet. Mr. Asthma Mom’s starting a job in Denver in early August, while the girls and I will stay in Florida to sell the house. (Do you envy me? Selling a house in this s-l-o-w market?)

Wish us major real estate luck, please, and if you find yourself in the Denver-Boulder-Colorado Springs area next year, send me an email and we’ll have drinks.

Love,
Your soon-to-be Colorado Asthma Mom.

13 responses to “Rocky Mountain National Park, and a Colorado Asthma Mom”

1. Asthmagirl says:

How exciting! You’ll be that much closer to me! Because it’s all about me, right?!

I’m really happy for you, and pleased that you’ll get to not only leave Florida, but live somewhere that makes your heart sing!

Congraulations to the Asthmamom family!

2. kristi says:

Wow! That’s exciting. And some beautiful pictures as well. Moving is always difficult, but I have a feeling you’re going to love living in Colorado.

3. AndieBeck says:

Congratulations to Mr. Asthmamom and the whole family! It sounds like you have found a place that could be “home” for all of you. I will send you lots of good real estate thoughts, packing thoughts, etc! Hopefully you will move by the beginning of the school year? or is that a bit fast?

Andie

Thanks! And I actually don’t mind moving—must be the military kid inside me.

Andie, It will be a miracle if we move before school starts. (middle of August for both here and there)

However, I have both prepped and bribed the children in anticipation of the transfer. :)

Here’s hoping the good luck finds its way to you also.

5. freadom says:

I’d love to go back to Calorado. I had lots of fun there when I was 15.

6. Pastor Rick says:

My wife and I are moving to Cripple Creek Colorado in Feb or Mar 09 and she is asthmatic and has been all of her life. How did the high altitude and cold weather affect you while you were there? Anyone can answer if you have lived there. I would very much appreciate the feedback.
    God Bless