Fall Color at Kenosha Pass

tree-frame2.jpg

I had a few posts planned this week, including a review, all of which I’ve put on hold because of unforeseen circumstances.

Y’all, I am sick as a dog over here.

Is it H1N1? Seasonal flu? Flu-like virus of some sort?

Who knows?

While sicker than I’ve been in years, achy, exhausted, feverish, and coughing hard enough to alarm my family and double me over occasionally (seriously, never coughed so hard in my life and ETA: I recognize the irony of my whining about coughing here on an asthma blog and let me just say, again, how much it sucks for our kids – and all you asthmatic readers yourselves – who’ve got to hack away like this on a more-than-regular basis), I am not actually ill enough to need a doctor. In fact, I seem headed towards the slow mend. AG and the Steadfast Sidekick aren’t sick, but we’ll see what the rest of the week brings. Assume massive fruit and vegetable consumption and near-constant handwashing for them – and prompted by me – in the meantime.

I might not have gotten so sick had we not hiked up in Kenosha Pass last Sunday while I was (apparently) coming down with something. Totally worth it, though, to see the gorgeous Colorado fall color.

We hiked on the Colorado Trail, which runs almost 500 miles through the mountains southwest of Denver to Durango. This portion in the pass winds through the golden aspens in Pike National Forest:

hidden-trail2.jpg

Here you can see the clouds that eventually gave way to rain and then snow in the mountains and foothills yesterday, the last day of summer:

meadow2.jpg

I love the way the yellow aspen leaves blanket the trail. You never see anything like that in Florida, where I used to live.

rocks2.jpg

Me and the Steadfast Sidekick:

me-n-sidekick2.jpg

24 responses to “Fall Color at Kenosha Pass”

Oh no! And after all your vigilance and diligence. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon! I’m assuming you have AG and SS in some kind of bubble, hope they are OK!

Your pictures are beautiful, makes me think of home.
    : )

2. Kerri says:

Aww. Feel better, Amy! *hug*

Also–your kids are gorgeous! :) As are the fall pictures.

3. karen says:

Hi Amy,

Hope you are feeling better… I was happy to find your blog tonight. I have a 7 yr and 3rd old with asthma. Neither take any controller meds on ongoing basis, just pulmicort & xopenex nebs when sick… usually virally induced. 3yr old has less asthma incidence but has had pneumonia before.

I found this post the other day relative to ways to help keep virus from multiplying in your body before you know you are sick…

You seemed very knowledgable and I wanted your take on in it. I am just absolutely terrified of this whole h1n1… my husband and I both have mild asthma as well and since I am not as thin as I use to be before kids that adds another whole risk factor, too.

Thanks.

4. Allie says:

Oh no! Feel better!

Those pics are absolutely beautiful!

5. Michelle says:

Sounds like the flu. Is it just me or is the cold and flu season starting early? Is it because the wet mild summer didn’t kill off the viruses? We are going through the allergy bit here in the NE, so I’m watching Jack like a hawk. All we can do is stay vigilant, right? I laughed yesterday when I saw them saying on the news that athletes should no longer high-five each other and to NEVER share mouth guards. The first one made me laugh, the second one – well, DUH!

6. Carolyn says:

Perhaps the only positive to fall is the foliage; displayed so brilliantly in your photographs.

But your sickness is a major con of the season. Yuk! I hope you get to the doctor and feel better soon.

7. Her Grace says:

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon!

8. Love the site– extremely individual pleasant and lots to see!