Friday Links – Peak Flow on Your Phone, Traffic, Medical Apps

Blog Metamorphosis Update
Yeah, I totally just called the Asthma Mom redesign a metamorphosis just so I could use that butterfly illustration. (Thanks, Graphics Fairy.) We’re still working on the huge – HUGE! – update, and by “we” I mean Mr. Asthma Mom, for the most part. I’m pretty excited, and I can’t wait to unveil the changes next week. In the meantime, you can help me out with some navigation decisions:

What do you come here to read? What are your favorite features? Do you wish some subjects were easier to find?

Blue Flow Combines Peak Flow Meter, Phone
Seems like this would chart your peak flow numbers for you and save the step of inputting the data yourself, but articles describe it as a “concept” and I can’t find it for sale anywhere.

And speaking of technology and health:

What’s the FDA’s Role in Medical App Regulation?
On the one hand, safety’s important when it comes to medical technology, but app regulation would A) cost money, and B) risk stifling innovation. What do you think?

Heavy Traffic and ER Trips
We already know high traffic levels near homes and schools produce enough emissions to aggravate asthma, but now they appears to generate more emergency medical care for asthma as well.

Very Early Preemies and Lung Problems
Low birthweight, whether associated with preterm birth or not, ups the risk of asthma development in children. Here we’ve got more information on very early babies born at 25 weeks or earlier, who appear to face lung problems including asthma for the rest of their lives.

28 responses to “Friday Links – Peak Flow on Your Phone, Traffic, Medical Apps”

Kerri wants a Blue Flow, pretty please, *Hint hint, developers, I can be a test person for you* ;-)

Since getting my NICU medical records, I MAY be able to find a bit more info about my own possible asthma/prematurity link (I was a 30-weeker though, not 25 or earlier), but that’s a super cool article.

I’m betting more research will turn up risk factors for the whole range of prematurity–it’s probably easier to see the links in the REALLY early babies, you know?

That is pure speculation, though.

3. Kelley says:

Yeah, that preemie/asthma link certainly makes me wonder. My AG’s father’s side has no asthma history. I have mild (intermittent) asthma, but I was born 2 weeks past my due date and she was induced a few weeks early. I can’t help but wonder if every extra day in utero doesn’t help further develop/strengthen the lungs?
    I’m still thinking on input for what I look for, so I’ll later!

Regarding the FDA issue, I’d be most fond of a graduated approach to medical app regulation, with relatively low risk stuff only subject to, say Manufacturer’s obligation to report issues to the FDA, moderate stuff subject to the previous, plus mandatory registration, and more High-risk things subject to pre-approval by the FDA.

So, like electronic textbooks maybe should only have the manufacturer be required to report errors… and electronic peak flow thing could require error reporting, an electronic peak flow monitorer that gives out treatment advice could maybe require registration. And so on.

And, inspired by kerri, I’ve recently contacted the hospital I was born at for my NICU records as well. My parents say I was showing symptoms of asthma even in the NICU, so we’ll see how it goes.

Just wanted to say Amy, that whenever I’m looking for an old post on your site I find it within seconds. It’s really easy to navigate.
    I really enjoy your Friday links but what I find most helpful are Asthma Mom’s tried and true tips! Love the Notes from an Asthma Kid and I can never resist participating in Tuesdays are your turn. Ie, I love all your features :)

Can’t wait for the big reveal.

I’m with Danielle…I love it all. I also can’t wait for the reveal.

My daughter was born 5 — almost 6 — weeks early and her non-asthmatic sister was induced, so the early/low birthweight/asthma link definitely fits this family, too.

Danielle & Sara–Thanks! One reason for the redesign: I’ll be able to highlight the regular features and really, all themed posts, better. I can’t wait for you guys to see it!

what constitutes “low birthweight?” my older daughter, was over 7 lbs, despite being at least 4 weeks early (thanks, uncontrolled gestational diabetes) Mariella, my asthmatic, was just slightly over 6, but dropped to 5 and change…she was 2 weeks before her due date (I also had GD, slightly better controlled)
    Abby was the one with all the lung issues at birth and slightly after, though…and she’s basically fine.

All the studies I’ve read use 2500 grams, which is 5 lb. 8 oz. (thank you, Google converter!) as the cut-off rate for a healthy full-term baby weight.

10. I just hope he doesn’t tie Lady gaga nude magazine photo to a train downloads.

11. It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you
    shared this useful information with us. Please
    stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

12. Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post
    to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

13. Karine says:

I blog often and I really appreciate your information.
    Your article has really peaked my interest.
    I’m going to book mark your site and keep checking for new information about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

14. idol lip says:

That is really interesting, You’re an overly professional blogger. I’ve joined your feed
    and sit up for in search of extra of your
    excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your site