Friday Links – WAD 2010, Thermoplasty, Living Statues

(Photo by Flickr user dogfrog)

BREAKING NEWS: Teaching Families About Asthma Helps Them Care for Asthma Kids
I kid, I kid.

This link describes just the sort of education program I would’ve loved when my daughter was diagnosed. You know all that information asthma parents usually have to search for on the Internet or figure out through multiple doctor visits and trial-and-error? Children’s Hospital Boston researchers hosted classes that basically taught families the same thing, from the beginning. Read the whole article to see the huge impact the program had on maintenance and control.

Don’t Let Kids’ Asthma Lead to Unhealthy Adult Behavior
That’s the thesis I’m getting from this article, anyway. (Longer post on the subject to follow next week.)

Tuesday’s World Asthma Day Reader Advice
If you missed this week’s reader response, please go read all its valuable tips or bookmark the post for later. I don’t like to play favorites, but you really shouldn’t miss the comment about setting an accurate, constructive tone at the start of every doctor’s appointment. (Thanks, Sarah.)

Denver’s National Jewish to Offer Bronchial Thermoplasty, the Unique New Asthma Treatment
While Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington performs the very first procedure today, National Jewish isn’t far behind.

And Now for Some Living Statues in Russia
Here’s a totally random photo gallery to take you into the weekend. Real people, painted and posing as statues in the May Yevpatoriya championship. It’s cooler than it sounds and definitely worth the click.

Note: Photo above taken in London, not at the Russian event.

18 responses to “Friday Links – WAD 2010, Thermoplasty, Living Statues”

the living statues are SO cool. Epcot has one in the French area (I think) that drives my girls crazy every time. They totally want to make her break character, but they have never gotten her to. (probably a different person every time.)

I’m so excited to see the long term research on the thermoplasty….I figure that should M ever need it, by that time it will be well researched and perfected.

Interesting about the whole long-term effects of childhood asthma thing. I’m not sure if it’s their wording, but it suggested to me that they were implying that work and school absenteeism in adulthood is a behavioral issue brought on by childhood asthma, which made me wonder if they accounted for those who are lifelong asthmatics (who, I think, may have higher absenteeism rates due to medical appointments and flares).

The comprehensive asthma course is too cool. I can’t imagine how much benefit families in that community must be getting from it. :D

3. Kelley says:

The longer term asthma consequences… my cousin had bad asthma coupled with some severe immune system problems and missed at least a third of school in his youger years. He definitely is very shy because he really missed out on a lot of social stuff. The overweight, thing, though still seems off. I’d like to see more of their data. My AG is coming down with a cold, which always is worrying (as we all know) and tends to lose weight (yes, just from regular old colds). I do let her eat cookies, cake & ice cream…she NEVER drinks pop… and is at the 50% for weight, consistently since she was 2. BUT…she is very active when she is not flaring.

Sara–I feel the exact same way about bronchial thermoplasty. Who knows what’s in store for my kid’s lungs as an adult? Nice to know another treatment’s available, just in case.

Sarah–Our whole family, but especially AG, would’ve had a much easier time with the asthma, had a program like that been available.

Kelley–I’m sorry she’s sick, and I hope she comes through it without flaring too badly. Re: the weight loss–does she lose her appetite, or is she burning more calories as her airways struggle? My kid doesn’t eat much when she’s sick, even with just colds, and she can’t really express why, even at age 11. I don’t know if she’s just too miserable to eat, but she definitely makes up for it once she gets better.

Cool! Those are like the living statues my parents and I just saw on our trip to London. They’re awesome!

Kelley: If I’m mildly flaring, I stay at the same weight because I tend to just take a few more hits of pre-exercise salbutamol and tough it out. If I’m moderately flaring, I gain weight because even with extra rescue med, I feel the chest tightness all the way through the workout and I’m not as active otherwise. If I’m severely flaring, I lose weight because even if I’m hungry, I’m too short of breath to eat much.

I wonder if the obesity thing is both the fact that most people tend to be less controlled than they think they are, and so they might be flaring enough that they don’t feel like being active, and also that some asthmatic kids do tend to form more sedentary habits, also because they tend to be less controlled than their doctors think they are. There’s not really much of an incentive to “go outside and play” if you get breathless and have to go grab your inhaler every time you do. I was borderline obese when I got to university… but seeing as how I was coming off a major depressive episode (which I think really contributed to my obesity) and really wanting to make big changes and take control of my life, I made a complete lifestyle change, and now I’m at a healthy weight… I haven’t had problems with depression since, but I’m not so stupid to chalk that up to weight loss. I think it’s a combination of healthier attitude toward life and more stable hormones.