Roxborough State Park and the Fountain Formation

Sometimes I like to pack lots of food and water and hike all day, testing myself on the steep inclines and trying hard to reach the summits.

But sometimes I’m tired and I just want to take a walk on a beautiful day.

Behold, Roxborough State Park in Littleton:

And behold the Sidekick at the beginning of Willow Creek Trail, basically the flattest and easiest path in the park:

Do these red rocks look familiar? They might, if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time.

They’re part of the Fountain Formation, a layer of rock that eroded down from the Ancestral Rocky Mountains somewhere around 300 million years ago. (Don’t take my word for it – geology details here.)When the current Rockies pushed their way up, they forced this layer of red sandstone up, too, and you can see it in other places along the Front Range, like Red Rocks amphitheatre and Garden of the Gods.

So all these rich red rocks sticking up out of the ground? Are parts of the ancestral Rockies, worn down and pushed back up again later, more or less. I think I’ve got that right. Geologists, correct me if I’m wrong!

The world’s an amazing place, huh? This kid of mine thinks so:

Or maybe she’s just happy we finally stopped for a picnic lunch under the trees and near this bridge:

Roxborough State Park is a National Natural Landmark in the United States, and it’s basically in my backyard and the backyards of thousands of other Front Range residents.

I love Colorado. I’m so happy we moved here. Have I mentioned that, ever?

This post is an entry in the Family Summer Travels with Teens and Tweens Blog Carnival.

21 responses to “Roxborough State Park and the Fountain Formation”

Your girls are gorgeous :-) . When they’re old enough for Facebook, their friends will all be jealous of their amazing profile pictures.

Aw, thanks. Sometimes they look very similar, but here – not so much.

Wow. You’re a great photographer! And that area is gorgeous! I’ve never been to Colorado. Looks like fun!

That is a beautiful area. Absolutely gorgeous!

I’m in Ontario right now, and I hope to get a chance to drop by Niagra Falls before I leave (I was here once before but it was cold and miserable that day and I stayed out of the car for all of about ten minutes before I huddled up away from the wind and drizzle)

I went to Niagara Falls once as a kid – we drove up from from my relatives’ in Pennsylvania. It was pretty spectacular, but we went on one of those skyline-type rides over the whirlpool there and I remember being terrified – TERRIFIED – the cable would snap, and we’d fall in. My brothers and sister thought that was pretty hilarious. :)

I can totally understand about being nervous in a cable car ride… I always can’t help but think, “It’s so thin! How can it support this much weight?”

One thing I love here is the air! I mean, all the big cities and industrial towns around here suck for air quality, but this area has great air and – even better – very little of the stuff I’m allergic to. Normally, by 10 AM, I would have needed my inhaler at least once lately… haven’t needed it at all yet, and I’m not even in the “should I? Shouldn’t I?” debate, either. It’s great! It could just be that my body is so shocked by the change it hasn’t had a chance yet to decide it doesn’t like this place, but whatever’s causing my better breathing, I like it. :D

Hamilton, on the other hand, was bad. Asthmatics, stay awayyy from Hamilton if you can!

Yeah, and cable cars sway and I was pretty young – although I think it’d probably freak me out even now.

Fabulous news about the airways – if they are shocked, I hope they stay that way for you.

8. csgo says:

say thanks to so mucha lot for your web site it assists a lot