I’m Not a Messenger, But I Do Carry the Bag

I’ve gotten a crazy amount of email asking me which messenger bag I carry ever since I mentioned it in the post about carrying meds last week. Consider this a public service announcement, direct from me to you:

Messenger bags are the greatest accessory ever invented in the history of raising a kid with asthma.

Actually, I think they’re the greatest bags ever invented in the history of carrying stuff, period.

Even in my pre-parent and pre-Asthma Mom days, I never was much of a handbag person. If I travel light, I stick my driver’s license, check card, and/or cash in my pocket, grab my phone and car keys, and go. If I plan to run around town for most of the day, even if AG’s not with me and I don’t have to lug her inhalers and spacer, I still want a bag big enough to carry what I need, smaller than a backpack but more convenient than a purse.

Behold, the interior of my messenger bag:

I looked for a long time before I found this. It’s well-made, comfortable, and sturdy, but I also love the way it looks. Plus, a lot of thought went into how people actually use their bags, with all its pockets and zippered pouches. You can’t identify the contents from my picture, so here’s a list:

1. Wallet
2. Keys
3. Cell phone
4. Altoids tin
5. Red inhaler/spacer pouch
(technically, a cosmetics bag)
6. Chapstick & lipstick
7. Book
8. iPod
9. Water bottle
(always with me because of the dry, dry Colorado air)
11. Tissues and band-aids

My largish camera often goes inside, too, though it’s not in that photo for obvious reasons.

Even when it holds all that, my bag looks like this when I close the flap:

Pretty kick-ass, huh? It’s like a magic trick, how everything fits.

It’s the small messenger in grizzly/mineral heather hemp from Timbuk2, a San Francisco company that makes custom bags (though I bought mine ready-made) for city bike couriers and for people who love to carry them everyday, like me.

This post is a reflection of personal taste and not sponsored by any company.

76 responses to “I’m Not a Messenger, But I Do Carry the Bag”

1. Samantha says:

okay question for you
    what type of spacer does AG use? ours is an “Aerochamber” and its bulky.. really hard to carry. I can fit it in my purse, but just barely….

Hmm, I’ve been thinking of doing a “what’s in my bag?” post too. Maybe next week.

In response to Samantha, I have an AeroChamber with me 95% of the time. I have a PocketChamber dealie but I HATE it even though it’s super small and convenient, it’s just so hard to use when I’m flaring. I’ve heard the PARI vortex is good but dents, but I think it’s a bit bigger than the AC (I may be wrong though, it may he smaller.) the Vortex is aluminum or something.

I’ve been wanting a messenger type bag for oh, maybe at least 2 years now… maybe make that 3-4 years. My mom though, says I shouldn’t get one as it weighs on only one shoulder, and thus can damage one’s back. So I have a backpack on wheels… only problem (largely due to the fact I wasn’t allowed to cary a backpack on my shoulders my first semester of college), is that I can’t haul it everywhere I go, it’s simply too big for every day. School stuff and travel it’s great for though.

I can totally see a messenger bag working nicely for stuff, especially the amount of stuff I tend to cary along, and would have worked wonders this past semester for the amount of books (like 3) I actually needed with me all day every day. It could have also kept my inhaler and spacer handy along with other stuff like water and my camera. It’s certainly still on my wish list.

One question regarding yours: does the shoulder strap have padding to it or is it bare? If so, is it comfy like that?

Samantha–It’s a MicroChamber, and I love it b/c it’s only about 4.5 inches long. Here’s what it looks like:

Kerri–AG has actually never had an Aerochamber – maybe that’s why she can use it okay while flaring, because she doesn’t know the difference?

MC–The strap itself isn’t padded (though it is adjustable), but it comes with a velcro padded shoulder sleeve that you can take on and off. I just don’t use it because it’s comfortable enough without for what I carry. If I were carrying several books, I probably would use it. Some of the other models DO have padded straps.

I’ve had messenger bags before, but until such a time comes that I’m no longer carrying my laptop with me, it’s not viable because it gets too heavy and then my back starts to cramp up at night. I’ll admit that they’re cool though. :)

6. wheezyheron says:

I love the look of this bag, followed your link… they have some great colours. Looks like it would be a great alternative for choir practices and the like. Normally I used a backpack for everything, but sometimes that’s just a bit much.

Oh, and I still find it weird to read ‘red inhaler + spacer’. Can’t help but think, shouldn’t that be ‘blue inhaler’ :)

Sarah–Yeah, I was backpack all the way when I was a student. I do carry my netbook with me in this sometimes, but it’s super small and very light.

Wheezyheron–I bought mine like this because I got a crazy deal on it, but I LOVE the customization options on the website.

Amy, can you get the microchamber without a script? M uses an Inspirease, at home, but uses an “old” aerochamber at school…I would prefer a chamber type thing again, so I don’t need to keep buying “bags” for the Inspirease.

9. Samantha says:

See that microchamber looks a whole lot easier to carry than the full size aerochamber we have at home. Says we need a script for it… well she has her first pulmo appt onTuesday so maybe I will ask

Ooh nice! I’m actually looking into new bags, since my current one is totally falling apart. And I only got it 3 months ago! (For $10 at Walmart when I was visiting the US – I <3 Walmart, but I guess you get what you pay for. Hmm…)

Haha. Amy said “kick-ass” :P I’ve never heard a mom use that word before :P

Sara–It’s been awhile so I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure we needed a prescription for it.