Tuesdays are Your Turn – Snow Day (Cold Day?) Entertainment

In Florida, we used to have hurricane days instead of snow days. The hurricane ones are a lot harder. On snow days, you can curl up under in an electric blanket with some hot chocolate and watch the fat flakes drift down through your windows. Power lines and such don’t ice up here the way they do in wetter parts of the country, and shoveling our light, dry-ish Colorado snow doesn’t strain my thirtysomething back the way the heavier East Coast variety would. And when the storm moves out, clearing the way for the sun to reappear in a day or two, everything sparkles. Plus: sledding!

During hurricanes, you always lose power and you have to entertain housebound children sans lights and television and pray the howling wind doesn’t knock a tree down onto your roof. If your kids are little, they’re probably scared. When the storm eventually leaves, even if you were lucky enough to avoid any damage you’re still looking at days of driving on flooded low-lying streets, some of which are partially blocked with fallen tree limbs. Every intersection turns into a four-way stop since the traffic lights don’t work. Forget finding a gas station with working pumps for at least a few days, and did I mention you’ll be living with no air conditioning in late summer, with temps in the 80′s or 90′s and humidity near 100%?

Yeah, I’ll take a snow day anytime, even though driving on icy roads generally finds me clutching the steering wheel in fear and barely stepping on the accelerator to the great annoyance of the other, more experienced winter drivers stuck behind me.

How do you spend snow days? How do your kids spend them?

Schools are closed today for the first time this year. That should tell you how mild this winter’s been for us, even as New Yorkers and New Englanders have been digging themselves out for months now. I only got about four inches of snow, but our high today will reach just -5, and wind chills can send that into the negative double-digits pretty much all day. Basically, the county declared a snow day so that kids don’t get frostbite at their bus stops.

We’ve got a busy week ahead, so I struck a deal with the girls this morning. If AG finishes most of her weekly homework and her huge math project due this Friday and if the Sidekick studies her multiplication facts and takes some practice quizzes, then they can spend all afternoon watching movies and playing the Wii.

What do you guys do on days like this?

68 responses to “Tuesdays are Your Turn – Snow Day (Cold Day?) Entertainment”

I do what I used to do when I was a kid: If I’m feeling good, I’ll suit up for some sledding if I have a sled (sadly, I don’t at the moment). Otherwise, I curl up with a book and get some reading time. :D

When I was younger I would always go sledding with the other kids in the neighborhood and make snow forts… made from giant snow balls. We never were big on making snow men, but we figured out how to build igloos and make walls and things out of the snow. Though, I’m not sure if you’re snow there is wet enough to hold together for making anything with it or if it’s a snow better for skiing.

Or, if we didn’t play in the snow, we’d find something inside to do, but it usually involved wishing we were outside in the snow ;)

Believe it or not… in my nearly 17 years of going to school I’ve never had the privilege of a snow day! Sometimes the bus would get us there 3 hours late because of terrible roads, but school has never actually been cancelled for me.

But on weekends when it snows a lot there is tobogganing and baking to be done! When we were kids, we built snow forts. We’ve even used a planter as a mold for an igloo block and built an igloo. Fuuun times.

The university I attend has been closed all day only three times since I started attending five and a half years ago. Two of those were for blizzards that dumped over a meter (roughly 3′ for my Southern neighbours) of snow each, and the remaining one was for an ice storm that incased everything in literally an inch of ice.

My last elementary school and high school were much more cautious – more than once, they cancelled as a precaution, and we ended up with a gorgeous, sunny “snow day”.

Back when I lived in Manitoba, we never were cancelled for snow since ~95% of the kids and teachers walked to the school. However, we were cancelled on more than one occasion for cold. If it was too cold for the busses to start, and the wind chill was low enough that walkers were risking frostbite and hypothermia even during a five minute walk, school was cancelled. That happened at least three or four times a year.

5. Kat says:

I got quite a few Ice days in elementary and high school. However, Ice days are not much fun, since ice day generally correlates with no power. Thus it is a lot of careful heating of the house wearing layers indoors, culminating activity of the day sometimes being backdraining the pipes! Party on! However, on our few snow days Sledding and Igloo building were definitely the activities of choice.
    We’ve got a snow day today and yesterday for the 2nd and 3rd time in university history, (38 years since the last one). In northern missouri, we just keep layering up and go to class anyway. I own ice cleats for my boots, and flannel lined jeans for a reason.

ahhhh….we played Wii, and did homework, and cleaned the playroom…on the second day, we fought. Here in New England, we just had our 7th day off due to snow. Each one fully justified…but still. In all my years of schooling, we went over the budgeted snow days one time…and only by one day. My kids are over the allotted days by 2, and it’s only February…there’s a whole lot of winter left. By the seventh day off in a month, my kids have run out of “fun day off things to do” On the first few, it’s fun to go outside and build things…but when you’re not even a full 4 feet tall, and there is 3+ feet of snow on the ground…it’s not so much fin to go out and play in it any more.

BUT…spring will come…and if we’re lucky…we won’t wash away in a flood…(remind me to get the stuff in my basement off the floor) and then summer will come…and we’ll all complain about the heat and humidity…it’s the circle of weather.

Heh, “circle of weather.” No humidity here, but I’m scared of the ragweed this summer after such a low-snow winter. Maybe we’ll make up for it these next couple of months.

They ended up with two days this week. For cold! And barely any snow!

I guess I shouldn’t complain. It was really cold here, with apparently some of the lowest temps this area’s seen in years. And these were their first days off after all.